Dentures, whether partial or full, require regular, proper care to keep them clean and free from stains and bacteria. Proper care can keep both your dentures and your mouth in good shape. These supportive tips disclose from Rely Dental & Orthodontics, at Irving and, Benbrook is the right method to clean, handle, and store your Dentures.
How to Clean Dentures
- Remove and rinse dentures after meals. If you can’t always clean your dentures after every meal, be sure to rinse and brush them at least once a day with a denture cleanser, mild dish soap, or liquid hand soap to remove plaque, food, and other particles.
- If you use a denture adhesive, clean any leftover adhesive off of your gums. Don’t use a denture cleanser to do this. Brush your natural teeth and clean your tongue, cheeks, and the roof of your mouth. Soak dentures in the solution overnight. Your dentist and your brand of the solution may have their recommendations, so follow instructions.
Some things you don’t use them to clean dentures include:
- Abrasive cleaning items: Stiff-bristled brushes and harsh cleansers and toothpaste are way too abrasive and can seriously damage dentures.
- Whitening toothpaste: Toothpaste with whitening properties can be abrasive. Don’t use them to clean dentures.
- Products with bleach: Bleach weakens dentures and changes their color. Solutions that contain can also tarnish the metal fixtures indentures with metal attachments.
- Hot water: In addition to sterilizing your dentures, hot water could warp them.
Where to Store Dentures
Dentures can become warped if they are placed in hot water. When you are not wearing them, your dentures should always be kept in room temperature water or in a denture solution recommended by your dentist.
Never wrap your dentures in a paper towel. They could easily be mistaken for trash and thrown away. Store smart by keeping your dentures far out of reach of kids and pets. Kids love to play with dentures and pets love to chew them up.
We love our patients and love to help them form healthy dental life that will last them a lifetime. For more information call us today to answer all of your questions, so get an appointment today.