The first thing people often notice during a conversation is a smile. If dull or discolored teeth are hurting your confidence, you need not fret. With teeth whitening, you can get a white and bright smile that radiates and promotes vitality and confidence. Therefore, teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dental procedures as it improves the appearance of the teeth. This procedure is an effective way of lightening the color of your teeth without affecting the tooth surface.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
The outer layer of your tooth, also known as enamel is highly susceptible to stains. Some of the habits that lead to discoloration of teeth are:
- Excessive use of tobacco
- Drinking liquids such as coffee, cola, red wine and tea
- Lack of good oral care
- Medications like antihistamines, antipsychotics and high blood pressure pills can also lead to teeth discoloration
Types of Teeth Whitening Methods
- Teeth whitening toothpaste
- Over-the-counter teeth whitening solutions
- In-office teeth whitening
In-office teeth whitening vs At-home teeth whitening
There are several options available for whitening. A dentist will suggest either traditional bleaching with whitening trays or laser teeth whitening. Benefits of in-office whitening include:
- Safe Unlike the at-home teeth whitening strips and products that irritate the gums and trigger tooth sensitivity, the professional teeth whitening services are effective, safe and fast. The in-office whitening services make use of powerful bleaching agents that are safely applied only to the teeth saving you from irritation of the gums.
- Efficient In the case of in-office teeth whitening treatment, you will get well-fit mouth trays to ensure perfection. The experienced professional teeth whitening dentists supervise the whole process ensuring maximum results and comfort. While at-home kits come with one-size-fits-all whitening strips. These strips overlap with the gum line, causing irritation. In many cases, it can lead to tooth sensitivity. Also, as you need to wear the bleaching strip for over 10 days, the repeated exposure to the bleaching agent can temporarily bleach the gum line.
- Lasting Results Professional teeth whitening is the best way to remove tough stains caused by soda, red wine, tobacco products, coffee, tea and other drinks and food items. By using the in-house teeth whitening technique, you can lighten up to 5 to 7 shades after a single session, while at-home whitening usually only whitens up to 3 shades.
If you’d like to enhance the color of your smile, contact us today and ask about our whitening specials.